SPLASHING out on regular haircuts can soon trim back your finances.
This week I got an email from Sun Saver Denise Ward, 49, from Nuneaton, Warks, who has a limited budget and can’t afford to spend a lot on her haircut and colour.
Personally, I always use the Treatwell app. You can search for hairdressers by postcode and the best offers and deals pop up for nearby salons.
To help Denise with her ’do dilemma, I spoke to my panel about how to get a haircut on the cheap.
- NATALIE KEEGAN, beauty addict and features writer for Fabulous, says: “Get a junior stylist to do your hair. The guy I go to at my local salon in Essex charges £10 and does all the Towie girls. It’s not to be sniffed at. Plus, you’re helping the stylist train for their future career.”
- PHIL SMITH, celebrity hair stylist and creator of the Phil Smith Be Gorgeous range, says: “At the Smith England Salon in Salisbury, Wilts, the public can nominate someone they feel deserves a free haircut, then we pick the person we feel should get a treat. Other hairdressers may offer a similar incentive. It’s also worth asking your local salons if they do student, NHS, military and OAPs discounts.”
- Reader LYNDA STRONG from Cwmbran, South Wales, says: “Contact your local college or adult education centre — they are always looking for models to practise on. Don’t worry as the students are fully supervised by a qualified member of staff at all times. I’ve had haircuts and colour for a fraction of the price and could not tell the difference from a more expensive salon.”
- Freebie finder COLLETTE JONES, who runs her own money- saving blog, says: “Look for home-visit hairdressers on Gumtree or local Facebook groups who offer services at a discounted rate. You can save up to 50 per cent off standard prices. Using sites like Groupon will save money on haircuts, too.”
- Sun Savers’ bargain hunter MUI ABDUL, of Wimbledon, South West London, says: “Haggle with your hairdresser. Ring up your salon and ask for a discount. It doesn’t hurt to try but don’t go too low.”
- All prices on this page correct at time of going to press. Deals and offers subject to availability.
Reader saving tip
MANDY BURNETT from SITTINGBOURNE, KENT, says: “To save buying an expensive door insect screen, just use some old net curtains.”
- Send us your tips to sunsavers@ the-sun.co.uk and you’ll get 28 codes worth £5 if your tip is used. Please include your name and town.
YOU’LL be made up with this saving. Get Ardell faux mink eyelashes for £8, much cheaper than these Lilly Lashes ones for £30.
Shop & save
CRACK open a bottle of Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference Conegliano Prosecco. Was £10, now £8.
LATHER up for less by snapping up Palmolive Gourmet body butter wash from ASDA. The Coconut Joy one was £1.50, now £1.
Sophia’s spending tip
Unused old mobile phone stashed away in your cupboard?
Don’t just give it in to your old provider – compare prices online and you’ll get the best offer for it.
Deal of day
GET 25 per cent off select items at The Body Shop when you use code: 14672, including this vitamin E cream cleanser. Was £8, now £6.
Save a fiver
Fancy a free fiver?
YOU can get FREE cash with super Sun Savers just for buying your favourite paper.
Our brilliant new rewards club will pay back our most loyal readers.
Just pick up the paper each day to collect your Sun Savers codes and we will GIVE YOU £5 when you have collected 28.
This isn’t a one-off and there is no limit to how much cash you can save.
For every 28 codes you enter, we will give you a fiver. So over the course of a year, that could add up to £65.
We are keeping it super-simple. You don’t have to enter codes from consecutive days, so don’t worry if you forget a day or two.
Download our easy Sun Savers app and quickly scan your code using your smartphone. Or go online and enter your code at sunsavers.co.uk.
To get you on your way, join today and we will put a bonus £1 in your Sun Savers wallet tomorrow. And the good news doesn’t stop with free cash.
With Sun Savers, we give you the best hacks, deals and tips to save money every single day.
TO JOIN: Don’t worry, folks — joining takes just 30 seconds, in three steps.
MOST READ IN TIPS
All we’ll ask of you is your name, your date of birth and an email address to get you on the way to your first crisp fiver.
You can choose to save or cash out straight to your bank account or instantly with Paypal.
Don’t delay — join Sun Savers now!