I HEAR a lot of tips and tricks about how to save the pennies – including from the Sun Savers community.
I challenged myself to save on my weekly food shop using your suggestions.
And guess what? I saved £17 in a week. Here’s how.
1. Cashback. I had never used cashback apps before but TopCashback, Quidco and CheckoutSmart are all popular. In my local Asda, I spotted some Rana fresh pasta on a 100 per cent cashback offer in-store, so I bought two packets and uploaded my receipt online.
I was refunded the full £5 for two packets, in just a couple of days. It was easy.
I will check out some of the cashback apps next.
2. Asda Price Guarantee. If your Asda shop isn’t ten per cent cheaper than the same shop at Tesco, Sainsbury’s, Morrisons or Waitrose, Asda will give you a voucher for the difference. Just check your receipt online and it will say if you have a voucher or not. If so, print out the voucher. I saved £9 in a week thanks to a bunch of different receipts.
It’s easy but frustrating you have to print out the vouchers. Surely you could show it on your phone?
3. Down-branding. I have always been a sucker for brands but I decided that for everything branded I normally buy, I would down-brand — going down to the basics where available. I started with cleaning products, buying own-brand shower cleaner, toilet bleach, washing-up liquid and antibacterial spray. The lot cost me £2.28, rather than £5.03 for branded versions. And vitally, the products worked just as well. I will keep my eyes peeled for more savings.
4. Shop seasonally. I normally head straight for the same fruit and veg but items in season tend to be cheaper. I top my morning porridge with raspberries but as they are not yet in season, they cost £1.65 in Asda — whereas six Gala apples are £1.35. I switched it up, saved money and got more variety in my diet. Winner!
5. Couponing. I struggled to find coupons anywhere. Nothing jumped out at me from supermarket magazines, as the coupons weren’t for items I would normally buy. “Extreme couponing” means setting your whole shop around the items you have coupons for but I would rather choose what I buy then get cashback or a voucher for them. Couponing is hard work!
- WHAT are YOUR top tips for saving money on your supermarket shop? And how can I get better at couponing? Send your best suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deal of the Day
FEED the family with the £5 Co-op frozen meal deal of fish fingers, fish fillets in batter, chips, peas and vanilla ice cream.
Save a Fiver
SPRITZ a new scent this summer with Britney Spears’ Midnight Fantasy. RRP £14.99, now just £9.99 at Home Bargains.
Shop & Save
KEEP tabs on your health with this Fitness Tracker from Wowcher. It comes in five colours and monitors your blood pressure, steps and heart rate. Was £99.99, now £19.99.
GRAB a Goodfella’s Deep Pan pizza from Sainsbury’s for £1.50, including Loaded Pepperoni and Loaded Cheese.
Reader Saving Tip
CHRISTINE FAWCETT, from Penrith in Cumbria, says: “Buy cheap coleslaw. There’s very little mayo in it, if any, so it keeps longer. Then add mayo yourself as you go. It tastes just like the pricier version.”
- Send your hints to sunsavers. co.uk/tips and get 28 codes, worth £5, if yours is used. Please include your name and town.
Sophia’s Spending Tip
NEED new summer shoes? Office Offcuts and Schuh Imperfects offer ex-display branded footwear at a discount. Just make sure you check the pictures before you buy.
Is your paper worth £50?
GET involved in our latest Sun Savers daily draw.
We are giving away thousands of pounds to readers this week in our daily Sun Savers draws.
Just use the Sun Savers codes printed in the paper every day to enter.
Don’t worry if you don’t win today – there is another draw each day this week until Friday. And you can enter as many days as you like.
Taking part couldn’t be easier. Enter or scan the code at the bottom of this page into the Sun Savers app or website.
Go to “Offers” in Sun Savers, then opt-in to today’s “Is Your Paper Worth £50?” draw. Then click “Enter” before midnight.
So grab your Sun Savers code now to see if the paper you’re holding is worth £50!
- Terms and conditions: 18+ UK residents only (excludes Isle of Man & Channel Islands). Daily code collect 09/05/2018 – 11/05/2018 between 00:01 and 23:59. Winners selected at random. T&Cs apply. For full T&Cs, go to sunsavers.co.uk.
Fancy a free fiver?
YOU can get FREE cash with super Sun Savers just for buying your favourite paper.
Our brilliant new rewards club will pay back our most loyal readers.
Just pick up the paper each day to collect your Sun Savers codes and we will GIVE YOU £5 when you have collected 28.
This isn’t a one-off and there is no limit to how much cash you can save.
For every 28 codes you enter, we will give you a fiver. So over the course of a year, that could add up to £65.
We are keeping it super-simple. You don’t have to enter codes from consecutive days, so don’t worry if you forget a day or two.
Download our easy Sun Savers app and quickly scan your code using your smartphone. Or go online and enter your code at sunsavers.co.uk.
To get you on your way, join today and we will put a bonus £1 in your Sun Savers wallet tomorrow. And the good news doesn’t stop with free cash.
With Sun Savers, we give you the best hacks, deals and tips to save money every single day.
TO JOIN: Don’t worry, folks — joining takes just 30 seconds, in three steps.
MOST READ IN TIPS
All we’ll ask of you is your name, your date of birth and an email address to get you on the way to your first crisp fiver.
You can choose to save or cash out straight to your bank account or instantly with Paypal.
Don’t delay — join Sun Savers now!