WOKEN up in a world of pain after a right royal knees-up?
This week I got an email from a Sun Saver asking if I had money-saving hangover tips, as they always end up spending a lot when they are feeling rough after a night out.
I find a little tough love works best. Drag yourself out of bed and go for a brisk walk, armed with a giant bottle of water. The fresh air, plus staying hydrated, will curb the headache . . . and best of all, it is FREE.
Here, my panel of parents, experts and money-saving gurus reveal their top tips, without splurging on costly hangover remedies . . .
- LEIGH TAOR-YUNUSOVA, Superdrug’s pharmacist, says prevention is better than cure.She says: “Be cautious of anything that’s advertised as being able to cure your hangover! There is no magic ‘cure’ – don’t waste your money! Watch your alcohol intake, stick to one type of drink and stay hydrated throughout your big night out. Ask for tap water at the bar which is free, and make sure you drink plenty so you don’t feel like a slug in a saltmine for the morning after.
- JOSIE GRIFFITHS, features writer for Fabulous and part-time party girl, says it is all about crisps and cola the next day.She says: “Crisps and full-fat cola are an absolute lifesaver.It’s only 70p for a packet of Walkers and 80p for a can of Coke — but it has to be the red can. I swear by it, especially if you’re a bit queasy. It’s the perfect mix of salt, sugar and caffeine to help you feel human again.”
- CATHY RANSON, a mother of one and and editorial director at Channel Mum, recommends planning a lazy day the morning after — totally free. She says:“Looking after kids with a hangover is enough to knock the crown off even the most patient mum and dad.“But there are some simple tricks such as laying on the floor on your tummy and turning your back into a racetrack.The kids can push cars over your back — you’ll get a nice massage and can rest your weary eyes while the kids have fun. Or get them to drag their duvets down and put on their favourite movie. Just don’t snore too loudly or they’ll get mad with you!”
- ANGELA CHALMERS, Boots UK pharmacist, advises paracetamol — and staying away from darker drinks.She says: “For a quick fix, paracetamol — which you can get for as little as 49p at Boots — is gentle on the stomach and quickly absorbed to help headache, body ache and temperature symptoms. “A combination B complex, vitamin C & zinc supplement may also help boost your energy levels. Avoid darker alcoholic drinks.”
- MARYSE GODDEN, Sun Savers bargain hunter of Catford, South London, says it’s all about the carbs.She says: “Get cooking. Bacon sarnies, stodgy cakes — anything with carbs to cure the hangover is a good idea.Do a food shop before you go out so it’s all in your cupboard ready for the morning after, rather than forking out for a greasy fry-up the next day.”
- ALL prices were correct at time of going to press. Deals and offers subject to availability.
GET eye-catching lips for less with Lottie London Glitter Switch liquid lipstick in Wanted. It is a cheaper version of the Ciaté London Glitter Flip liquid lipstick in Valentine.
Reader saving tip
TONY HANDLEY from Studley, Warks, says: “When you have a finished washing-up liquid bottle, don’t bin it.
“Put a little water in it to use up the remaining liquid left in the bottom.”
- Send your hints to sunsavers.co.uk/tips and get 28 codes, worth £5, if yours is used. Include your name and town.
The Sun Superdays
THE SUN Superdays is back. This time with two FREE tickets to the LEGOLAND® Windsor Resort, worth up to £120.
With more than 55 rides, live shows and attractions set over 150 acres of parkland, plus two LEGO-themed hotels on site, it is a family destination not to be missed.
Plus, new this year, celebrate the Year of the Brick by visiting our five new attractions – Miniland USA, the LEGO Reef, Miniland Explore the World, LEGO Ninjago bedrooms and a new 4D
movie exclusive to LEGOLAND, LEGO® NINJAGO® – Master of the 4th Dimension.
To claim your two FREE tickets, just collect NINE Sun Savers codes printed daily inside the paper until Tuesday, June 5.
With Sun Savers you will be able to pick your date as well as gain access to peak summer availability.
Or collect ten of the 18 tokens we will print in the paper and claim by post using the booking form printed yesterday or online – but remember, only Sun Savers members get peak summer availability and a choice of dates.
Not a Sun Savers member?
Search “Sun Savers” in the App Store or you can register at sunsavers.co.uk.
Deal of the day
SAVE money in the Argos baby event. You can get 25 per cent off this Fisher Price Infant-To-Toddler Rocker. Was £59.99, now £44.99.
Save a fiver
SCORE a saving in time for a summer of soccer with the Adidas official World Cup football from Sports Direct. Was £29.99, now £24.99.
WAS: £29.99 , NOW: £24.99.
Fancy a free fiver?
YOU can get FREE cash with super Sun Savers just for buying your favourite paper.
Our brilliant new rewards club will pay back our most loyal readers.
Just pick up the paper each day to collect your Sun Savers codes and we will GIVE YOU £5 when you have collected 28.
This isn’t a one-off and there is no limit to how much cash you can save.
For every 28 codes you enter, we will give you a fiver. So over the course of a year, that could add up to £65.
We are keeping it super-simple. You don’t have to enter codes from consecutive days, so don’t worry if you forget a day or two.
Download our easy Sun Savers app and quickly scan your code using your smartphone. Or go online and enter your code at sunsavers.co.uk.
To get you on your way, join today and we will put a bonus £1 in your Sun Savers wallet tomorrow. And the good news doesn’t stop with free cash.
With Sun Savers, we give you the best hacks, deals and tips to save money every single day.
TO JOIN: Don’t worry, folks — joining takes just 30 seconds, in three steps.
MOST READ IN TIPS
All we’ll ask of you is your name, your date of birth and an email address to get you on the way to your first crisp fiver.
You can choose to save or cash out straight to your bank account or instantly with Paypal.
Don’t delay — join Sun Savers now!
Hols from £15 are BACK!
IT’S too late to join in but if you have started collecting, you can grab a bargain break with The Sun’s Hols from £15.
There are 227 parks across the UK and Europe to choose from – including in France, Spain, Italy, Holland and Austria.
Our holidays are also unbeatable on price. We will refund the difference, PLUS £10, if you find a cheaper deal within 28 days of making a booking. See thesun.co.uk/holidays for full T&Cs.
Plus, book a midweek break and get a fourth night FREE. Just collect FIVE Sun Savers codes, from those printed daily until Tuesday. Or collect FIVE printed tokens or codewords. Token 9, left.
With Sun Savers, you can pay using money in your Sun Savers wallet. Collecting codes? Opt in to the Hols from £15 promo in the “Offers” section of Sun Savers, then enter five codes via the app or sunsavers.co.uk. See page 36 for today’s code. Collecting printed tokens/codewords? Head to thesun.co.uk/holidays or use the booking form online.
Short Ts & Cs: Price per person based on four sharing. Subject to availability. Code/token collect. Terms and conditions and date restrictions apply.