THERE are plenty of ways to show your dad you care today without forking out for a costly Father’s Day gift.
If money is tight and you were planning on showing up at his door empty-handed, my panel of parent experts are here to share their views and ideas to save stress and cash.
- Tom Williams, a dad of two from Lichfield, Staffs, who runs the Working Daddy blog: “If you have no money or have a very limited budget, why not make something? There are plenty of ideas on the internet. I would rather receive a gift that’s been made with love.”
- Cathy Ranson, mum of one and editor of parenting site ChannelMum.com: “Your presence is the important thing here, not your presents. Make him a card with an old photo of the two of you together and write a lovely message about how much he means to you. Or invite him over for lunch. How about making him a voucher for you to do some chores he doesn’t enjoy, such as ironing or gardening?”
- Tom Briggs, a dad of three from East Sussex who runs blog Diary of the Dad: “Material objects don’t really matter in the grand scheme of things but showing affection and gratitude is important.”
- Mumsnet founder Justine Roberts: “How many dads really want another World’s Best Dad mug or a golf tee key ring? Mumsnet users say that anything handmade with love and thought knocks shop-bought stuff out of the park. You could bake his favourite cake, make a roast lunch, plan a film evening with his favourite comedy, or just hand him the keys to his bike lock and tell him he’s free to spend the day doing what he wants.”
- Dad-of-three Ricky Willis, of Tunbridge Wells, Kent, founder and editor of Skint Dad: “There seems to be a lot of pressure to make things perfect, and that usually means spending money. Dads would prefer no gift than a child getting into financial trouble for one day.”
- Sun Saver Pat Myers, from Rotherham: “Make a video using your phone, with friends and family talking about their favourite memories and moments of your dad.”
My Savers fiver
LAURA Spafford, of Rotherham, says: “I cashed out money in my Sun Savers wallet to open an ISA account for my six-year-old son to access when he’s 18. It will hopefully go towards college, or his first car.”
- Send your Savers fiver stories to sunsavers.co.uk/fivers and you will get 28 codes worth £5 if yours is used. Include name and town.
Reader’s saving tip
KAREN McGuire, of Cleethorpes, Lincs, says: “Black printer ink generally runs out first. Print non-business letters or documents in greyscale, or kids’ homework in blue or red by changing the font colour.
- Send tips to sunsavers.co.uk/tips and you will get 28 codes worth £5 if yours is used. Include your name and town.
Deal of the day
TREAT Dad to a Father’s Day £6 meal deal from Co-op. Includes a main and two sides, or a main plus a side and dessert.
Save a fiver
Get your first healthy-snacking Graze box using our code and save a fiver[/caption]
SNACK on your first Graze box. There is £5 off for new customers when they use code 5CREDIT from promotionalcodes.org.uk.
Win a year of Odeon Cinema
HERE’S a blockbuster giveaway that’s guaranteed to be a hit with film fans.
Sun Savers has TEN annual cinema passes from Odeon to be won.
But don’t worry if you miss out – as there are also 500 pairs of Odeon cinema tickets for the runners-up.
There is something for everyone this year at Odeon, from Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom to family favourite Incredibles 2 and action-packed Mission: Impossible Fallout.
Make sure you don’t miss out on this fantastic competition.
Entering is easy. All you need to do is collect FIVE Sun Savers codes from the 11 printed daily in the paper until Tuesday, June 26.
Today’s Sun Savers code is at the bottom of page 28. Then, go to the Sun Savers app or website and enter your Sun Savers codes.
Once you have entered FIVE codes, click “Enter” before the final credits roll at midnight on Monday, July 9.
So if you fancy yourself as a film critic or you just want to see more of your favourite Hollywood star, our latest Sun Savers competition is perfect for you.
Not already a Sun Savers member? Then join today! Just search “Sun Savers” in the app store or head over to sunsavers.co.uk. You only need to enter a few basic details to get started.
- T&Cs apply. Find out more here.
Sun savers is your key to treats, cash and prizes
SUN SAVERS is the best way to get a FREE fiver in cash – and so much more!
- FANCY some free tickets to popular attractions in the UK?
- Or exclusive access to competitions where you can win big cash prizes?
- Or maybe, you want to get a great deal on your Christmas Hamper?
- Join Sun Savers today! We’ll even throw in a free fiver!
Play now to win £15,000 on the Sun Savers Raffle
JOIN thousands of readers taking part in the new Sun Savers Raffle.
Every Sun Savers code you enter will earn you a ticket for our £15k monthly Raffle. And for every ten tickets you collect in a calendar month, you get a GOLDEN TICKET for our £80k Raffle, which takes place every three months, with the first one at the end of June.
There is no limit to how many tickets you can collect. So the more you enter, the better your chances.
To take part go to sunsavers.co.uk or open the Sun Savers app. Then opt in to each month’s Raffle by clicking “Yes!” when prompted and start collecting the Sun Savers codes printed daily in the paper.
Today’s code is on Page 28. Every time you scan or enter a code into Sun Savers, you get a Raffle ticket in the £15k Raffle.
Not yet a Sun Savers member? Just go to sunsavers.co.uk or find “Sun Savers” in the app store to get started.
- T&Cs apply. Full T&Cs at sunsavers.co.uk/faqs.
Fancy a free fiver?
YOU can get FREE cash with super Sun Savers just for buying your favourite paper.
Our brilliant new rewards club will pay back our most loyal readers.
Just pick up the paper each day to collect your Sun Savers codes and we will GIVE YOU £5 when you have collected 28.
This isn’t a one-off and there is no limit to how much cash you can save.
For every 28 codes you enter, we will give you a fiver. So over the course of a year, that could add up to £65.
We are keeping it super-simple. You don’t have to enter codes from consecutive days, so don’t worry if you forget a day or two.
Download our easy Sun Savers app and quickly scan your code using your smartphone. Or go online and enter your code at sunsavers.co.uk.
most read in money
To get you on your way, join today and we will put a bonus £1 in your Sun Savers wallet tomorrow. And the good news doesn’t stop with free cash.
With Sun Savers, we give you the best hacks, deals and tips to save money every single day.
TO JOIN: Don’t worry, folks — joining takes just 30 seconds, in three steps.